The Offseason and Beyond - 2018 Edition

shipitdear

Re: The Offseason and Beyond - 2018 Edition

Post by shipitdear » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

J.D. Brew wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm
shipitdear wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm
What would Larry Fitzgerald cost us in a trade? And those of you who automatically say no to that because of his age did not watch him play last year.
I would guess a fourth rounder, and that might be pushing it. I don't see any team doing more than that for a 34 year old receiver. 30 year old Randy Moss got a 4th, though he was kind of believed to be damaged goods at that point and a cancer.

That's probably one of those situations where a player isn't worth much, but being a franchise legend, no team will offer enough for them to give him up and deal with the fan backlash.
I hope the new guy pursues these sorts of things. I just glanced at the standings to see if there's a rebuilding team w/ a strong WR. A 4 for him would be a windfall for the Cardinals and would give him one last shot to be on a playoff team. Everybody wins.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Packers need 6 new starters: WR, TE, RT, CB, S, LB - don't let the Ted guys tell you different, they were mostly wrong for 7 years.

Striker
Site Admin

Post by Striker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

The WR trade market likely depends on the destination of Kirk Cousins.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 am

J.D. Brew wrote:
shipitdear wrote:
What would Larry Fitzgerald cost us in a trade? And those of you who automatically say no to that because of his age did not watch him play last year.
I would guess a fourth rounder, and that might be pushing it. I don't see any team doing more than that for a 34 year old receiver. 30 year old Randy Moss got a 4th, though he was kind of believed to be damaged goods at that point and a cancer.

That's probably one of those situations where a player isn't worth much, but being a franchise legend, no team will offer enough for them to give him up and deal with the fan backlash.
If AZ said you can have him for a 5th, I'd do it all day. But like you said, I see no way that AZ does something like that.

But with all that said, I don't think Larry at 35 (when the season starts) fixes the biggest issue that everyone is complaining about, speed. The Packers don't "need" a 35 year old Fitz. They need a guy that can get behind the safeties and open things up for the other guys.
And then add another TE to the mix. I'd take Graham over Fitz right now knowing the TE issues this team has.

yourout

Post by yourout » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 am

I hope they trade for or sign a tight end.
Generally speaking rookie tight ends take time to develop and usually don't make big impacts for a couple of years.

Not saying you don't draft one if you see one you like but with Rogers window starting to narrow we need a vet right now.

shipitdear

Post by shipitdear » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am

dsilby wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 am
J.D. Brew wrote:
shipitdear wrote:

If AZ said you can have him for a 5th, I'd do it all day. But like you said, I see no way that AZ does something like that.

But with all that said, I don't think Larry at 35 (when the season starts) fixes the biggest issue that everyone is complaining about, speed. The Packers don't "need" a 35 year old Fitz. They need a guy that can get behind the safeties and open things up for the other guys.
And then add another TE to the mix. I'd take Graham over Fitz right now knowing the TE issues this team has.
Larry Fitzgerald is infinitely better than Jordy Nelson at this point and would be a sizable upgrade at WR. You could get speed at TE (think Jared Cook) and could still open up the offense. It would probably cost a 4. I think the chances of this happening are zero - it's more to illustrate the point that there's such a thing as trading. We're not limited to just free agency. Now that Ted is gone maybe the new GM will try and actually use this groundbreaking avenue to player acquisition.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Packers need 6 new starters: WR, TE, RT, CB, S, LB - don't let the Ted guys tell you different, they were mostly wrong for 7 years.

matt stairs

Post by matt stairs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am

Striker wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm
This. I also just read it is possible Demaryius Thomas will be a cap casualty in Denver (and may need to be if they pursue Cousins). That would be an intriguing name at WR, and definitely add a dimension we don't have currently.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm

shipitdear wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am
dsilby wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 am
J.D. Brew wrote:
shipitdear wrote:

Larry Fitzgerald is infinitely better than Jordy Nelson at this point and would be a sizable upgrade at WR. You could get speed at TE (think Jared Cook) and could still open up the offense. It would probably cost a 4. I think the chances of this happening are zero - it's more to illustrate the point that there's such a thing as trading. We're not limited to just free agency. Now that Ted is gone maybe the new GM will try and actually use this groundbreaking avenue to player acquisition.
In this made up scenario, I'd rather keep Jordy over Larry.
And that's not because I think Jordy is better, it's becasue I think AZ has no interest at all of just dumping him for reasons that Brauny explained.
It would have to be a large over pay to pry him out of AZ for a 35 year old receiver that I don't think is the answer to super bowl or no super bowl when the defense is the main issue. If you do a trade and over pay, it's for a corner or someone to get to the QB. Not a 35 year old receiver.
And if you do trade or over pay for someone on offense, that guy needs to check the box of speed in some regard. Not for an upgrade to a #2 or #3 receiver.

J.D. Brew

Post by J.D. Brew » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

I would happily trade anything 4th and above for Larry. I don't think that would get it done.
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:
dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

shipitdear

Post by shipitdear » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm

matt stairs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am
Striker wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm
This. I also just read it is possible Demaryius Thomas will be a cap casualty in Denver (and may need to be if they pursue Cousins). That would be an intriguing name at WR, and definitely add a dimension we don't have currently.
He’d be a home run with Aaron Rodgers.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm

J.D. Brew wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm
I would happily trade anything 4th and above for Larry. I don't think that would get it done.
100%. I also see no way AZ would take that hit like you said over a 4th round pick. To get Fitz, we're talking a big over pay.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Does this guy have anything left? I'm not sure if the Packers need another often injured LB.
Plus the Packers are in desperate need of a pass rush and Cushing has a total of only 2 sacks in 6 years total. But maybe he's worth a tire kick?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... an-cushing

matt stairs

Post by matt stairs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am

dsilby wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Does this guy have anything left? I'm not sure if the Packers need another often injured LB.
Plus the Packers are in desperate need of a pass rush and Cushing has a total of only 2 sacks in 6 years total. But maybe he's worth a tire kick?

He’s an ILB without the speed to cover anymore, I don’t see a role for him.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 am

matt stairs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am
dsilby wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

He’s an ILB without the speed to cover anymore, I don’t see a role for him.
Yeah, he's all name I think.