Pettine hired as DC

User avatar
J.D. Brew
Posts: 11424
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby J.D. Brew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm

dsilby wrote:
ptisme wrote:

I put ZERO in what that guy's opinion is:)

Remember when this board thought the Packers should get him!! Oh the good ol days.

As defensive coordinator? I'd be perfectly fine with that. He would never take that role.
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm

J.D. Brew wrote:
dsilby wrote:
ptisme wrote:

I put ZERO in what that guy's opinion is:)

Remember when this board thought the Packers should get him!! Oh the good ol days.

As defensive coordinator? I'd be perfectly fine with that. He would never take that role.

Head coach.

I'd be fine with DC as well.

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

dsilby wrote:
ptisme wrote:

I put ZERO in what that guy's opinion is:)

Remember when this board thought the Packers should get him!! Oh the good ol days.
Do me a favor - with zero editorial - list the top 3 QBs Rex Ryan had to work with during his 8 years of head coaching.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm

shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:
ptisme wrote:

I put ZERO in what that guy's opinion is:)

Remember when this board thought the Packers should get him!! Oh the good ol days.
Do me a favor - with zero editorial - list the top 3 QBs Rex Ryan had to work with during his 8 years of head coaching.

I have no idea what this means or what you're trying to get across. I don't have rosters in front of me and honestly, I don't think I can name 3 QB's that any coach in NFL history have ever had. Besides the Packers obviously. I can't even name 3 Belicheck QB's.
What's your angle?

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 am

These are the QBs that Rex Ryan had the privilege of coaching. To make a snarky, obviously cutting remark about Rex Ryan as a HC is really surface stuff. Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...


'09 -'12 Mark Sanchez

'13 - '14 Geno Smith/Mike Vick

'15 - '16 Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
Mr Bad Example
Posts: 3982
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am
Location: Appleton WI

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby Mr Bad Example » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 am

shipitdear wrote: Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...



The knock against Rex Ryan is less the talent he had at quarterback, and more the complete lack of interest he showed in getting a good offensive coordinator.
A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm

shipitdear wrote:These are the QBs that Rex Ryan had the privilege of coaching. To make a snarky, obviously cutting remark about Rex Ryan as a HC is really surface stuff. Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...


'09 -'12 Mark Sanchez

'13 - '14 Geno Smith/Mike Vick

'15 - '16 Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you just said that if you give him 2 HOF QB's and a great OC he'll be a better coach.
Yeah, probably. Along with every other coach in history that never had HOF QB's to work with.

The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
It's also interesting that he said he's open to a coaching job though nobody is giving him one.
I don't think he was/is a good coach and that's my opinion. You can think he's great, that's cool. You're also entitled to yours.

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Mr Bad Example wrote:
shipitdear wrote: Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...



The knock against Rex Ryan is less the talent he had at quarterback, and more the complete lack of interest he showed in getting a good offensive coordinator.
Hard for me to believe that the best OC in football would have done enough w/ that group of QBs.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:These are the QBs that Rex Ryan had the privilege of coaching. To make a snarky, obviously cutting remark about Rex Ryan as a HC is really surface stuff. Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...


'09 -'12 Mark Sanchez

'13 - '14 Geno Smith/Mike Vick

'15 - '16 Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you just said that if you give him 2 HOF QB's and a great OC he'll be a better coach.
Yeah, probably. Along with every other coach in history that never had HOF QB's to work with.

The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
It's also interesting that he said he's open to a coaching job though nobody is giving him one.
I don't think he was/is a good coach and that's my opinion. You can think he's great, that's cool. You're also entitled to yours.
I was comparing him directly to Mike McCarthy, you missed it. And you act like he didn't have anything to do w/ those defenses which is beyond silly.

I said at the time he took the Buffalo job was that it was a huge mistake because they, like the Jets, did not have a QB. He should have waited for a better opportunity. And the book isn't closed on him - he's only 55.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm

shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:These are the QBs that Rex Ryan had the privilege of coaching. To make a snarky, obviously cutting remark about Rex Ryan as a HC is really surface stuff. Give him Favre and Aaron Rodgers and a great OC and give give MM the trash below and...


'09 -'12 Mark Sanchez

'13 - '14 Geno Smith/Mike Vick

'15 - '16 Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you just said that if you give him 2 HOF QB's and a great OC he'll be a better coach.
Yeah, probably. Along with every other coach in history that never had HOF QB's to work with.

The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
It's also interesting that he said he's open to a coaching job though nobody is giving him one.
I don't think he was/is a good coach and that's my opinion. You can think he's great, that's cool. You're also entitled to yours.
I was comparing him directly to Mike McCarthy, you missed it. And you act like he didn't have anything to do w/ those defenses which is beyond silly.

Which is 100% why I responded to Brauny saying I'd be ok with him as a DC, but not a HC.

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm

dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.

And MM got the Packers to the NFC title game last season with a team so undermatched you said they had no business being there. So he to then should get credit if NFC title games are the new benchmark.
Sanchez is 5 times the talent Hundley is, which isn't saying much for Hundley since he's terrible. If Sanchez was the backup QB this season with the Packers, they have another 2 wins IMO.
This is a dumb debate. Going back and forth battling over opinions about a guy who's not even an NFL coach anymore.

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.

And MM got the Packers to the NFC title game last season with a team so undermatched you said they had no business being there. So he to then should get credit if NFC title games are the new benchmark.
Sanchez is 5 times the talent Hundley is, which isn't saying much for Hundley since he's terrible. If Sanchez was the backup QB this season with the Packers, they have another 2 wins IMO.
This is a dumb debate. Going back and forth battling over opinions about a guy who's not even an NFL coach anymore.
The “anaylysis” here abysmal on so many levels that I won’t even bother. Remember writing this when he gets his next HC job - and let’s see what happens if he’s actually paired up with a good QB.

Your boy MM did wonders with Hundley though. It was an epic year for him. He’s a legend.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
ptisme
Posts: 3564
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby ptisme » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm

dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.

And MM got the Packers to the NFC title game last season with a team so undermatched you said they had no business being there. So he to then should get credit if NFC title games are the new benchmark.
Sanchez is 5 times the talent Hundley is, which isn't saying much for Hundley since he's terrible. If Sanchez was the backup QB this season with the Packers, they have another 2 wins IMO.
This is a dumb debate. Going back and forth battling over opinions about a guy who's not even an NFL coach anymore.

I’m on record with MM staying. However. After what we witnessed this year, it was Aaron Rodgers and NOT Mike McCarthy that “got the packers to the NFC Title game”. You know better to even try to suggest it
When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is FREEDOM!

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 pm

The irony here is that also I'm on board w/ MM getting another season. He's earned one more chance IMO and he's also earned his place on the hot seat.

But to suggest that he's that much better or even better than Rex Ryan without factoring in Rodgers vs. the QBs RR has had to work with - ESPECIALLY after the horrendous season MM just finished without Rodgers is not giving the conversation any context.
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
ptisme
Posts: 3564
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby ptisme » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 pm

MM went 3-7 without the GOAT.
2-5-1 in 2013 when Ted was supposedly still on top of his game.
MM is a total of 5-12-1 without Aaron Rodgers


I don’t see much of a difference between the record of MM and the record of Ryan when Rodgers is taken out of the equation. But I think MM deserves another chance because I put our problems more on the defense and the man acquiring talent. Agreed short leash though
When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is FREEDOM!

shipitdear
Posts: 10087
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby shipitdear » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:12 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
“As bad as the defense has been, though, the offense has just as many holes. Maybe more.” - Gary D’Amato 12/30/17

Welcome back to 2004 kids. Thanks Ted!

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm

ptisme wrote:
dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.

And MM got the Packers to the NFC title game last season with a team so undermatched you said they had no business being there. So he to then should get credit if NFC title games are the new benchmark.
Sanchez is 5 times the talent Hundley is, which isn't saying much for Hundley since he's terrible. If Sanchez was the backup QB this season with the Packers, they have another 2 wins IMO.
This is a dumb debate. Going back and forth battling over opinions about a guy who's not even an NFL coach anymore.

I’m on record with MM staying. However. After what we witnessed this year, it was Aaron Rodgers and NOT Mike McCarthy that “got the packers to the NFC Title game”. You know better to even try to suggest it

So when Rodgers succeeds it's him. When he plays bad MM is a crap play caller.

Remember for about 10 games Rodgers was playing terrible football. All the blame went on MM and the lack of talent. Then Rodgers says they're going to win out and he completely did a 180 and started playing fantastic. Then it was all Rodgers and MM got no credit.
Though the talent level was exactly the same on the field.
Of course Rodgers get's a ton load of credit, without him the team is just not good.
But you just can not give a coach blame when the team struggles without giving him praise when they succeed.

If you go back and look at some of the best coaches of all time, the majority of the time they have a star QB. Or just take all of sports, star coaches normally have star players.
They go hand and hand.

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 pm

ptisme wrote:MM went 3-7 without the GOAT.
2-5-1 in 2013 when Ted was supposedly still on top of his game.
MM is a total of 5-12-1 without Aaron Rodgers


I don’t see much of a difference between the record of MM and the record of Ryan when Rodgers is taken out of the equation. But I think MM deserves another chance because I put our problems more on the defense and the man acquiring talent. Agreed short leash though

Yeah, I'm also give MM a pass here.
From all his pressers it seems like he was begging for more talent and Ted just didn't give it to him.
Not sure what coach would have been able to polish that turd last season.

User avatar
dsilby
Posts: 14812
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pettine hired as DC

Postby dsilby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:33 pm

shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:
shipitdear wrote:
dsilby wrote:The guy has had the luxury as well as having the #1 defenses in the NFL and top 5 in the NFL year after year and did nothing with it.
Btw, he did advance to the AFC Championship game two years in a row w/ Mark friggin Sanchez - but you think he should have done a lot more w/ those QBs huh?

I guess he should study MM and how he guided the Packers to greatness this year w/ Hundley.

And MM got the Packers to the NFC title game last season with a team so undermatched you said they had no business being there. So he to then should get credit if NFC title games are the new benchmark.
Sanchez is 5 times the talent Hundley is, which isn't saying much for Hundley since he's terrible. If Sanchez was the backup QB this season with the Packers, they have another 2 wins IMO.
This is a dumb debate. Going back and forth battling over opinions about a guy who's not even an NFL coach anymore.
The “anaylysis” here abysmal on so many levels that I won’t even bother. Remember writing this when he gets his next HC job - and let’s see what happens if he’s actually paired up with a good QB.

Your boy MM did wonders with Hundley though. It was an epic year for him. He’s a legend.

Your opinion.
I feel my analysis was spot on.
If you think Rex is a better coach than MM, that's fine. It's all opinion based.


Return to “Packers and NFL Discussion”




  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests