Brewers 2017-2018 Offseason

matt stairs

Re: Brewers 2017-2018 Offseason

Post by matt stairs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:01 pm

BarneyStinston wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 am
I don't want a second tier, over 30 starter like Lynn for 4+ years at $13-15 mil a year. Its a waste. Career worst SO, BB percentages, and inning inconsistencies this year do not bode well.
In this market I highly doubt Lynn gets 4 years. At this point 3/42 looks fairly possible, maybe with a team or mutual option after that.

alffan

Post by alffan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm

J.D. Brew wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:59 am
alffan wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm
It seems like Mark A. has stepped in to counsel Stearns and hence the better decisions.
lol, how convenient that whenever the Brewers start making moves you like, "it must be because Attanasio has stepped in." That way you don't have to eat crow about Stearns. How nice!

Stop pulling stuff out of your ass.
Go read. Attanasio took a back seat. They then said they met and he opened up his check book and realized he could win now, and gave Stearns the opportunities to make moves.

Look, Stearns clearly used the latitude to do so, but Mark A. Has been much more front and center this year than he was during the season when the Brewers stood pat.

alffan

Post by alffan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Hardricourt reporting (and I believe) the Brewers interest in Darvish was more likely to drive the Cubs price up. The funny thing is, they were probably bidding against themselves. I don’t know how anyone can ignore his post season career ERA of almost 6.00.

It’s tough to tell how Darvish will do. He pitched in the AL with the DH. He’s had TJ surgery and he had a soft year by his standards. I don’t care what the computers say, no one with common sense (and I think Stearns and Attanasio are that smart) said this guy isn’t worth $20 million plus.

He has had issues with the long ball, so I would question if Wrigley is the best place for him and Miller Park would’ve been awful. Milwaukee doesn’t have the financial infrastructure for $20 mil per pitchers.

Right now Stearns has made good calculated moves. I wouldn’t rush to match this one and overpay for Lance Lynn. Sit back and wait.

dsilby

Post by dsilby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm

A couple things If I may.

I think it's misguided when people say, "well look at his post season ERA". Ok fine, but if you're talking about post season, I'll take it. He clearly helped get his team to the playoffs from pitching very well in the regular season.

Also, I do not think he even wanted to come to Milwaukee from the beginning. I think if Milwaukee had any "real" shot of landing him, their offer would have had to be significantly higher than the Cubs. That's just my feeling, whether it's reality or not, I have no idea since I'm not in Darvish's camp.
But that's what seems logical to me.

matt stairs

Post by matt stairs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm

dsilby wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm
A couple things If I may.

I think it's misguided when people say, "well look at his post season ERA". Ok fine, but if you're talking about post season, I'll take it. He clearly helped get his team to the playoffs from pitching very well in the regular season.

Also, I do not think he even wanted to come to Milwaukee from the beginning. I think if Milwaukee had any "real" shot of landing him, their offer would have had to be significantly higher than the Cubs. That's just my feeling, whether it's reality or not, I have no idea since I'm not in Darvish's camp.
But that's what seems logical to me.
Post season era is garabage as a whole, but even more so with Darvish, who pitched really well in the DS and CS and then got shelled in the World Series because of an identifiable problem (he was tipping his pitches). That problem is correctable. This was already pointed out to Alf and he ignored once before, so I do not expect a response now either.