Brewers Game Day Discussion

Moderator: wisblue

alffan
Posts: 3756
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby alffan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm

I like that idea but who would take Thames. They gave him decent money. Here goes the bullpen putting people on.

willie key
Posts: 8495
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby willie key » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Hughes could let these guys back in it. He's pretty bad

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 pm

cor232000 wrote:Phillips can play. He should get the majority of the starts in CF from here on out. Would like to see the Brewers try to move Brauny to 1st base next year. Move Santana to LF, and go with Brinson and Phillips in CF & RF, Broxton as your 4th OF on the bench. That would be a really young, talented OF.

You can trade Thames.

No way Braun does 1st.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 pm

alffan wrote:
yourout wrote:Broxton has done some stupid things in the last two games.

That should be a double and a caught stealing? Or Pick off?



He doesn't play the game smart... I think he's got a lot of talent. You do wonder if he could do better if Darnell Coles wasn't his hitting coach though. He does make good plays in the outfield, but he also has made some bad ones out there too. I would say double and pick off.

Or Coles got him to this level of showcasing his talent...

What type of player do you honestly believe Broxton would be if he were in Pittsburgh or Arizona?
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

wisblue
Moderator
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby wisblue » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 am

alffan wrote: Here goes the bullpen putting people on.


I'm curious what it would take for "the bullpen" to satisfy you.

Seems to me that the bullpen has been a pretty critical part of the Brewers staying within striking distance during the scoring drought of the second half.

cor232000
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby cor232000 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 am

FranchiseInsider wrote:
cor232000 wrote:Phillips can play. He should get the majority of the starts in CF from here on out. Would like to see the Brewers try to move Brauny to 1st base next year. Move Santana to LF, and go with Brinson and Phillips in CF & RF, Broxton as your 4th OF on the bench. That would be a really young, talented OF.

You can trade Thames.

No way Braun does 1st.


I'm sure you're right and he won't end up playing 1st, but I'm curious why it's such a hard no. Braun played SS in college and 3B all through the minors, he should be able to field ground balls well enough to play 1st base. If I remember a lot of his issues at 3rd were poor throws across the diamond. Plus, with all his injury issues I would think the likelihood of injury playing 1st base is less than running all over the OF.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what they do this offseason & next year with all these OF's. Both Brinson and Phillips have nothing left to prove in AAA and should be given a shot as a full time starter with consistent ABs, IMO. Santana has had a great season and shown he is part of the future but his defense is pretty bad, and would be much better suited for LF. And of course you have Braun, who isn't going anywhere. I'm sure they'll try moving Broxton for something. There may not be enough at bats to go around for all those guys, although I'm sure Braun will miss his 50 games next year.

MelvinMustGo
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby MelvinMustGo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:45 am

^I'm curious why he doesn't think Braun would do first either.

Especially with all the leg injuries he's had, I think first is a perfect option for him. Especially considering all the OF prospects we have and no one at first.

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 pm

I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

cpd
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby cpd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

yourout wrote:
alffan wrote:I love Broxton's defense... but that's about all he does. Another one of the dumb players this team has.


Trying to steal last night with Jeffress trying to bunt in his first major league AB was pretty stupid.


Do we know whether he was sent? Can't blame him if he was told to run.

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

cpd wrote:
yourout wrote:
alffan wrote:I love Broxton's defense... but that's about all he does. Another one of the dumb players this team has.


Trying to steal last night with Jeffress trying to bunt in his first major league AB was pretty stupid.


Do we know whether he was sent? Can't blame him if he was told to run.

This is a good point! It's probably the org that is "stupid" when fans don't like team aggression.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

BrewCrew82
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby BrewCrew82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm

FranchiseInsider wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.



Yeah but the Brewers also haven't had this much OF talent/ depth in years so that could be a reason to start thinking about moving him. He's probably below average defensively in LF so if someone pans out the Brewers would be improving in several areas; 1st base and OF defense.

willie key
Posts: 8495
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby willie key » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm

FranchiseInsider wrote:
cpd wrote:
yourout wrote:
alffan wrote:I love Broxton's defense... but that's about all he does. Another one of the dumb players this team has.


Trying to steal last night with Jeffress trying to bunt in his first major league AB was pretty stupid.


Do we know whether he was sent? Can't blame him if he was told to run.

This is a good point! It's probably the org that is "stupid" when fans don't like team aggression.


Team aggression seems like such a P.C. term :D

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.



Yeah but the Brewers also haven't had this much OF talent/ depth in years so that could be a reason to start thinking about moving him. He's probably below average defensively in LF so if someone pans out the Brewers would be improving in several areas; 1st base and OF defense.

The problem is, none of their OF are better than Braun.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

yourout
Posts: 6025
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby yourout » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

FranchiseInsider wrote:
cpd wrote:
yourout wrote:
alffan wrote:I love Broxton's defense... but that's about all he does. Another one of the dumb players this team has.


Trying to steal last night with Jeffress trying to bunt in his first major league AB was pretty stupid.


Do we know whether he was sent? Can't blame him if he was told to run.

This is a good point! It's probably the org that is "stupid" when fans don't like team aggression.


Counsil looked pretty unhappy when it happened and it made no sense to try it then. Either wait for the bunt or the strikeout and if you want to try to run with Sogard up at least you could go run and hit if the right pitch presented itself.

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Counsell could have been mad because they called a play and it failed. BTW have you guys noticed our runners are almost constantly in motion, anyway?

Again, I think it's the team strategy, not individual players. This team is built to be risky.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

BrewCrew82
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby BrewCrew82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm

FranchiseInsider wrote:
BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.



Yeah but the Brewers also haven't had this much OF talent/ depth in years so that could be a reason to start thinking about moving him. He's probably below average defensively in LF so if someone pans out the Brewers would be improving in several areas; 1st base and OF defense.

The problem is, none of their OF are better than Braun.


Why does that matter? The Brewers simply could be a better team next season with Thames off the field. It could also help Braun stay on the field more and not need days off every three games.

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 pm

BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:
BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.



Yeah but the Brewers also haven't had this much OF talent/ depth in years so that could be a reason to start thinking about moving him. He's probably below average defensively in LF so if someone pans out the Brewers would be improving in several areas; 1st base and OF defense.

The problem is, none of their OF are better than Braun.


Why does that matter? The Brewers simply could be a better team next season with Thames off the field. It could also help Braun stay on the field more and not need days off every three games.

It matters because you don't move one of your best locked up players, if not the best, off of a position for an unproven entity.

There will be more than enough PA across the OF for Brinson, Phillips, & Santana next year.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

BrewCrew82
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby BrewCrew82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:55 pm

FranchiseInsider wrote:
BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:
BrewCrew82 wrote:
FranchiseInsider wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the absence of a 1B for a few years proves Braun wouldn't be moved. If they needed 1B production when Braun was a bad RF and they STILL didn't move him then, I'm skeptical he will be moved until his defense absolutely tanks.



Yeah but the Brewers also haven't had this much OF talent/ depth in years so that could be a reason to start thinking about moving him. He's probably below average defensively in LF so if someone pans out the Brewers would be improving in several areas; 1st base and OF defense.

The problem is, none of their OF are better than Braun.


Why does that matter? The Brewers simply could be a better team next season with Thames off the field. It could also help Braun stay on the field more and not need days off every three games.

It matters because you don't move one of your best locked up players, if not the best, off of a position for an unproven entity.

There will be more than enough PA across the OF for Brinson, Phillips, & Santana next year.


There are plenty of reasons to try it that other posters have said that you aren't considering. At the very least I don't see the harm in him trying it in ST to see how he looks. It's going to happen at some point anyways.

FranchiseInsider
Posts: 11090
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby FranchiseInsider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't see the point, I just don't; not for injuries, not for defense mitigation, etc. There is no need to diminish depth prematurely. Just play Braun at his position, let the injuries & ineffectiveness fall, then see what happens.
BIGGER BATS HIT MORE HOME RUNS!

willie key
Posts: 8495
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: Brewers Game Day Discussion

Postby willie key » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm

It's amazing the array of bad baseball teams in MLB. It's no wonder teams win 21 in a row


Return to “Brewers and MLB Discussion”




  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cpd, Google Adsense [Bot], J.D. Brew, shipitdear and 5 guests