3) Oklahoma
4) Miami
5) Wisconsin
6) Georgia
7) Auburn
8) Notre Dame
9) USC
10) Ohio State

Will most likely see Clemson v Miami in the ACC Championship. So that will eliminate one of them.

So... it's basically win out and you're in for the Badgers.
After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

wisblue

Re: The Badgers Year?

Postby wisblue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:57 pm

It’s always been win out and they’re in.

They aren’t leaving out an undefeated team from one of the Power 5 conferences unless all five have undefeated teams.

BarneyStinston

Postby BarneyStinston » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 am

Clemson and Oklahoma have zero business being so high. Clemson losing to fricking 4-6 Syracuse? Thats worse than having the Badgers losing to Purdue or Indiana. Oklahoma losing to a 6-4 Iowa State? Both NW and Iowa are better than that, and the Badgers won both. Bama, Miami, UW, and the one loss team with highest ranked loss Georgia. At some point Miami has to beat Clemson. Bama has to beat,Georgia. UW has to beat OSU. It irks me that bad losses don't seem to matter highly rated top teams to start the season.

Suppose Clemson beats Miami, and Georgia beats Bama. Someone will argue all those 1 loss teams plus Oklahoma outrank an undefeated Badgers because of schedule strength.Thats nuts.

willie key

Postby willie key » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:27 am

I think it’s pretty simple at this time. Every conference champ except the pac 12 will be in the playoff

My personal rankings would be

Miami, Alabama, Oklahoma, clemson, Wisconsin, auburn

willie key

Postby willie key » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:33 am

Gameday coming to Madison. Game at 11am though. I was hoping the fans would be sauced up if we played later. The fans were actually good for once against Iowa.

Our student section sucks though now. They haven’t filled their section yet this year.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:20 pm

willie key wrote:Gameday coming to Madison. Game at 11am though. I was hoping the fans would be sauced up if we played later. The fans were actually good for once against Iowa.

Our student section sucks though now. They haven’t filled their section yet this year.

It’s unlikely that many students will be there before the game is decided. But most of them don’t care as long as they make it for Jump Around.

willie key

Postby willie key » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm

wisblue wrote:
willie key wrote:Gameday coming to Madison. Game at 11am though. I was hoping the fans would be sauced up if we played later. The fans were actually good for once against Iowa.

It’s unlikely that many students will be there before the game is decided. But most of them don’t care as long as they make it for Jump Around.

I’ve heard the athletic department is ticked off. They might cut tickets for the student section

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 pm

willie key wrote:
wisblue wrote:

I’ve heard the athletic department is ticked off. They might cut tickets for the student section

I'm wondering if the latest generation just isn't that interested in watching sports. Maybe it's me living on the west coast... but a lot of my friends who have kids... they just aren't that much into watching sports. Sure... they'll play soccer or baseball or whatever... but they just aren't interested in sitting there watching professionals play. Maybe it is time to reduce the number of student tickets sold. Its embarrassing seeing those empty sections every damn game.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:
willie key wrote:
wisblue wrote:

I'm wondering if the latest generation just isn't that interested in watching sports. Maybe it's me living on the west coast... but a lot of my friends who have kids... they just aren't that much into watching sports. Sure... they'll play soccer or baseball or whatever... but they just aren't interested in sitting there watching professionals play. Maybe it is time to reduce the number of student tickets sold. Its embarrassing seeing those empty sections every damn game.

I think it is a trend all over. College students these days are more interested in social media activities than spending 3 or 4 hours getting to and sitting through a game. If they are interested in a game, they can check on it through their phones without having it interrupt other activities.

It’s not just young people either. Go to a Brewers game or a Marquette basketball game and people arrive late, leave early, and spend half of the game in the lounge areas where they might (or might not) pay attention to the game on a TV.

It doesn’t help when events are staged more for TV than live audiences. Erratic and often inconvenient start times and games that take way too long because of commercials, replay reviews or whatever make it more comfortable (and a lot less expensive) to stay home and watch on TV. I know a lot of Michigan football season ticket holders were not happy when TV scheduled the Minnesota game last week a 7:30 PM. Throw in a 75 minute lightning delay before it started and the game wasn’t over until almost midnight. A lot of people come to those games from a couple hours away, and that just doesn’t work for them. And you don’t always know the start time until a week or two before the game.

I just got a survey about MU basketball at the new arena, and the sample pricing structures they showed would mean I would pay almost double what I pay now (including a mandatory contribution to the athletic fund) for comparable seats. I’m not sure I’m willing to pay that much, and being able to afford it has nothing to do with it. Part of the attraction is supposed to be the great amenities at the new arena, but I don’t care about that stuff. I’m one of the rare people who goes to watch a game and doesn’t care if the facility offers a wide selection of exotic foods and craft beers in luxury lounges.

willie key

Postby willie key » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

Season tickets for students do cost $188. When I was in college that’s a lot of damn money though. You know how much keystone light that pays for

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

willie key wrote:Season tickets for students do cost $188. When I was in college that’s a lot of damn money though. You know how much keystone light that pays for

What's stupid though is that a lot of students pay for the tickets (or their parents do) and then they don't come to the games or only come for parts of a couple of them.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm

wisblue wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:
willie key wrote:
wisblue wrote:

I think it is a trend all over. College students these days are more interested in social media activities than spending 3 or 4 hours getting to and sitting through a game. If they are interested in a game, they can check on it through their phones without having it interrupt other activities.

It’s not just young people either. Go to a Brewers game or a Marquette basketball game and people arrive late, leave early, and spend half of the game in the lounge areas where they might (or might not) pay attention to the game on a TV.

It doesn’t help when events are staged more for TV than live audiences. Erratic and often inconvenient start times and games that take way too long because of commercials, replay reviews or whatever make it more comfortable (and a lot less expensive) to stay home and watch on TV. I know a lot of Michigan football season ticket holders were not happy when TV scheduled the Minnesota game last week a 7:30 PM. Throw in a 75 minute lightning delay before it started and the game wasn’t over until almost midnight. A lot of people come to those games from a couple hours away, and that just doesn’t work for them. And you don’t always know the start time until a week or two before the game.

I just got a survey about MU basketball at the new arena, and the sample pricing structures they showed would mean I would pay almost double what I pay now (including a mandatory contribution to the athletic fund) for comparable seats. I’m not sure I’m willing to pay that much, and being able to afford it has nothing to do with it. Part of the attraction is supposed to be the great amenities at the new arena, but I don’t care about that stuff. I’m one of the rare people who goes to watch a game and doesn’t care if the facility offers a wide selection of exotic foods and craft beers in luxury lounges.

Well stated.

I do know unless I'm gonna be in a suite... I have little interest in going to a game. The product on TV is a much better experience than being there live. The TV experience is now catered to more than the in-house fans. The amount of sitting/standing around during TV timeouts is just excruciating. I think it was you that mentioned it... but college football games on Fox are just horribly long. The breaks are just create such a disjointed product at the stadium. Also with start times too you are correct... for TV purposes... some Pac12 games don't start out here until 730PM to 8PM. And if you have a 3 1/2 to 4 hour game... I'm not getting home until 1AM or so. No thank you.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm

wisblue wrote:
willie key wrote:Season tickets for students do cost $188. When I was in college that’s a lot of damn money though. You know how much keystone light that pays for

What's stupid though is that a lot of students pay for the tickets (or their parents do) and then they don't come to the games or only come for parts of a couple of them.

I'm dating myself here... but I remember when Badgers' season tickets were $6 per game... $36 for them all. What a deal. And I didn't skip any or arrive late... leave early. 5th Q was something to stick around for. Is it even a big thing at Badgers' games anymore???

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 pm

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:
wisblue wrote:

I'm dating myself here... but I remember when Badgers' season tickets were $6 per game... $36 for them all. What a deal. And I didn't skip any or arrive late... leave early. 5th Q was something to stick around for. Is it even a big thing at Badgers' games anymore???

I think in my grad school days at Michigan in the 70’s the student tickets were $4 a game. Not a bad price to see Bo’s teams in action. And almost all of the games started at 1 PM. No way would we skip one.

BarneyStinston

Postby BarneyStinston » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Heh, when I went to Northwestern in the early 90's, student football tickets were free. Student basketball tickets were $3. I did drive up to Madison in 1991, and bought $4 football tickets from a guy on a bike. He told us to sit anywhere we wanted.

willie key

Postby willie key » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Clemson number two. Still don’t understand it

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 pm

willie key wrote:Clemson number two. Still don’t understand it

I'm guessing the win over Auburn scores them a lot of points... especially now that Auburn beat the #1 team at the time.

It'll all get ironed out when Miami and Clemson plays... so at this point it doesn't matter much.

BarneyStinston

Postby BarneyStinston » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 am

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:

I'm guessing the win over Auburn scores them a lot of points... especially now that Auburn beat the #1 team at the time.

It'll all get ironed out when Miami and Clemson plays... so at this point it doesn't matter much.

It really won't fully if Clemson wins. How far can Miami drop for losing to a #2/3? Clemson should have dropped to #10 as soon as they lost to Syracuse. Even Alabama's 3rd string blows out Syracuse.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 pm

BarneyStinston wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:

It really won't fully if Clemson wins. How far can Miami drop for losing to a #2/3? Clemson should have dropped to #10 as soon as they lost to Syracuse. Even Alabama's 3rd string blows out Syracuse.

They aren’t leaving out an undefeated champion of one of the Power 5 conferences, especially if it would require taking two teams from one conference.

If Miami loses to Clemson, Clemson will be in (and deservedly so) and Miami will go into the pool with the other one loss teams and conference champions. If Oklahoma wins out (no guarantee) it could come down to Oklahoma and Miami for the last spot. I think Oklahoma would get the bid as a conference champion with several more big wins than Miami has.

The way things are playing out, it isn’t out of the question that Wisconsin could get in even in the unlikely event that they lose to Michigan. If they go on to beat OSU in the title game, they would be a conference champ with a 12-1record, and that could be more appealing than a non champion Miami or a two loss team. If Oklahoma loses another one, they would be in for sure.

stix

Postby stix » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 pm

willie key wrote:
wisblue wrote:

They damn well should.

I went to school there ('04 graduate), and I'm disgusted. We all drank and partied when I was there, too, but other than those early NC games against cupcakes at 11 a.m. (and a lot of that was being hungover from Friday night), the student section was basically full for kickoff every game, save maybe a pocket here or there at the top as kids continued to file in.

What I see now is pathetic. Saturday is the biggest game at UW in a long, long time. Considering it's their last home game this season and they're in the CFP if they win out, it may likely be the most important in Camp Randall history. Seriously.

And I'll bet the student section is 10 percent full for kickoff. I attribute this to the massive influx of money and out-of-state students that have flowed into UW in recent years. Great financially for the school, but these kids don't care about the games. Last time I went up there, I felt like I was in a foreign place. Freaking new dorms have colossal coffee shops in the bottom of them. Like Starbucks-style.

I'm actually going to the UW-Michigan hockey game Saturday night with a buddy who lives just outside Madison, but football tix were a bit pricey, so we'll watch that and drink beer at his place before heading downtown.

BTW, the hoops team sucks this year. They won't win 12 games.

Return to “College Sports and Other”