The Badgers Year?

wisblue

Re: The Badgers Year?

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 pm

I was planning not to post here during the game on Saturday because anything I would say would come across as whining or gloating or trying to piss on the Badgers' express train to the playoffs. But, as it turns out with the early start, I won't be home until early afternoon and will be watching the game on the DVR and may or may not catch up before it's over. How long it takes me to go through the recording will depend on whether or not it's competitive.

But, I thought I would offer a few comments before the game to enlighten people who haven't seen Michigan play. If you haven't seen them play much, you are probably going to be shocked at how weak their offense is. They started out the season without a lot of explosiveness, and being down to their third QB, and losing 4 of their top 5 wide receivers, top receiving tight end, and top 2 running backs to injury has slowed the improvement that they might have had. They have improved enough to be able to run the ball effectively against the weak sisters of the league, but they are still something like 115th out of the 130 D1 teams in passing offense. The passing yardage comes almost entirely from short passes to backs and tight ends because they don't trust the QB to throw downfield, the receivers can't get open even against weak B10 pass defenses, and the offensive line (which has improved to the point of being competent in run blocking) cannot pass protect at all and is constantly beaten by the kinds of twists that the UW defense loves to use. Against the best defense in the country it's hard to see where the first downs, much less points, are going to come.

Michigan's defense is quite talented, but teams have learned how to take advantage of their aggressiveness to hit them with big plays and move the ball with counter plays and isolating receivers on one of their slower linebackers. Fumagalli (sp?) should have a big day.

If the game ends up close, Michigan's freshman FG kicker, who started the season very strong, has developed a serious case of the yips. Since the Penn State game he has missed 2 extra points (and knuckled a few that barely cleared the line) and missed all 3 of his FG attempts. Not a good formula for an offense that has red zone problems.

I expect Michigan's defense to keep the game close for awhile but over the course of the day Wisconsin's more mature players will probably wear them down, take over and cover the 10 point spread. I suppose that in Game 11 Michigan might come up with a performance that it hasn't displayed yet this year. But that kind of "bolt out of the blue" performance seems more likely to come at home instead of in front of a hostile crowd.

At the end of the day, I think the biggest factor will be Wisconsin’s big edge in experience. Michigan’s defense last year was loaded with seniors who were drafted by NFL teams. This year’s good defense is made up largely of true sophomores who were part of Harbaugh’s first recruiting class. Compare that to the number of 4th and 5th year players on Wisconsin’s defense. Michigan’s defense is faster overall than last year’s but not as physically strong across the board. And this is a game that is likely to be decided more on strength than speed. I expect a game a lot like last year’s, but reversed, with the Badgers dominating the yardage and time of possession battle. But they will take better advantage of their scoring chances than Michigan did last year, and win by a score like 24-7.

Enjoy the game, and don't get too worried if Wisconsin has to punt or if Michigan gets a first down before the Badgers have a double digit lead.
Last edited by wisblue on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm

stix wrote:
BTW, the hoops team sucks this year. They won't win 12 games.

Just a bit of an overreaction to losing a tough game to a good Xavier team.

With all of the turnover it will take this team some time to gel, but I suspect we'll be seeing their 12th win sometime in January.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Here's one more comment that I put here more for amusement than anything else, especially for people who believe in sports conspiracy theories.

First the facts. Michigan has incurred the most penalty yards in the Big 10 and its opponents have the second fewest penalty yards. That has fueled some speculation on Michigan boards that B10 officials are penalizing Harbaugh for his criticism of the officials in last year's OSU game. Maybe Michigan is just penalty prone, but it is kind of puzzling that their opponents are so pure. You might think that with a quick aggressive defense the opponents might be called for holding every so often, but it just doesn't happen.

Now that Wisconsin is the conference's only hope to make the playoffs, the conspiracy theorists are that much more convinced that the referees will be doing whatever they can to keep them undefeated. I'm sure they'll be out in force if the Badgers benefit from any key calls or no calls tomorrow.

willie key

Postby willie key » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm

wisblue wrote:Here's one more comment that I put here more for amusement than anything else, especially for people who believe in sports conspiracy theories.

First the facts. Michigan has incurred the most penalty yards in the Big 10 and its opponents have the second fewest penalty yards. That has fueled some speculation on Michigan boards that B10 officials are penalizing Harbaugh for his criticism of the officials in last year's OSU game. Maybe Michigan is just penalty prone, but it is kind of puzzling that their opponents are so pure. You might think that with a quick aggressive defense the opponents might be called for holding every so often, but it just doesn't happen.

Now that Wisconsin is the conference's only hope to make the playoffs, the conspiracy theorists are that much more convinced that the referees will be doing whatever they can to keep them undefeated. I'm sure they'll be out in force if the Badgers benefit from any key calls or no calls tomorrow.

Ive always wondered about this. It would behoove the big ten to have Wisconsin undefeated now. Wouldn't the big ten do everything it could to keep the big ten in the playoff. Its a lot of damn money

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:05 pm

willie key wrote:
wisblue wrote:Here's one more comment that I put here more for amusement than anything else, especially for people who believe in sports conspiracy theories.

Ive always wondered about this. It would behoove the big ten to have Wisconsin undefeated now. Wouldn't the big ten do everything it could to keep the big ten in the playoff. Its a lot of damn money

There have been rumblings about this in other late season games in the past in other conferences. I remember something in the Big 12 not too long ago involving Kansas feeling like they were jobbed out of an upset win. I’m sure there’s no question that Delaney would like to see Wisconsin win out at this point, and who knows if that preference gets pushed down, directly or indirectly, to the game officials.

Harbaugh has been unusually calm this year. It could be because he knows he is being watched closely by officials or because he knows that he doesn’t have a championship caliber team this year and isn’t going to have a coronary over it. But, it was pretty funny watching the Purdue and Indiana coaches going ballistic on the officials and never getting flagged for anything.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

All I've got to say is... pathetic. This is kickoff.

Stephen Watson‏ @WISN_Watson
3m3 minutes ago
Biggest game of the year, can’t hold anything back now. #Badgers #TaleAsOldAsTime

After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

BigDee

Postby BigDee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Sweet!
Snapping necks and cashin checks. POW!

BigDee

Postby BigDee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 pm

I was like what the hell are you doing.....turned into hell yeah nice read.

Mr Bad Example

Postby Mr Bad Example » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Wow, this is a slobberknocker. It's incumbent on Hornibrook (every Badger on offense, really, but him in particular) not to make a game-altering mistake today.
A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate

BigDee

Postby BigDee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm

What a stop and fumble recovery

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

PUCK YOU WISBLUE!

Only until after the Hockey game tonight
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

yourout

Postby yourout » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

These refs stink

stix

Postby stix » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

This one's over.

Michigan has all day to throw, and this QB is 5 trillion times better than Hornibrook.

Michigan is just physically dominating this game.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Wisblue painted Michigan as the worst team in college football history.

In reality, they just have way more talent than UW.

willie key

Postby willie key » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 pm

What a fucking bullshit call.

BigDee

Postby BigDee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:29 pm

stix wrote:This one's over.

Michigan has all day to throw, and this QB is 5 trillion times better than Hornibrook.

Yup game over tied at 7 and not even halftime yet....Over react much. Geez.

yourout

Postby yourout » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

I think Bucky is in trouble.

willie key

Postby willie key » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

That was a game changer. Football sucks with these rules or whatever you call it.

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:37 pm

BigDee wrote:
stix wrote:This one's over.

Yup game over tied at 7 and not even halftime yet....Over react much. Geez.

First time here?
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

BarneyStinston

Postby BarneyStinston » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:40 pm

The Badgers are a second half team. If they don't turn it up in the 4th, it wasn't meant to be.

Return to “College Sports and Other”