BUCKY BASKETBALL

Daubs

Re: BUCKY BASKETBALL

Postby Daubs » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:05 am

J.D. Brew wrote:
Daubs wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:The one time it would have been nice for Nigel to miss a FT. That second one to get the clock rolling.

Oh well. Exceeded my expectations in the tournament.

Disagree. With a miss, anything could've happened - especially when a double-bonus is in the mix and a 1-point lead.

Just two unbelievable shots - one at the end of regulation to tie it and OT to win it for Florida.....

I don't get how you could disagree. With 4 seconds, a miss is chaos, they have 4 seconds to get the ball, compose themselves and get into position for a shot. That's assuming they even come up with the rebound.

By making the shot you are giving them 4 whole seconds to sprint down the court and get up a reasonably good three.

That chaos could lead to a foul on Bucky. Care to gamble on FLA shooting two with a one-point WIS lead?

Daubs

Postby Daubs » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

BrewCrew82 wrote:Hayes should have ran down the clock even more before going to the rim. 1 or 2 more seconds off the clock might not seem like much but that makes a huge difference when trying to get the ball up court

Absolutely no disagreement here. Ensure they can't run the ball up the court.

Daubs

Postby Daubs » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 am

Hammer on Hayes' free throw shooting all you want - but BrewCrew's point about running more clock and Iverson going up so pathetically weak for the lay-in/dunk were bigger issues in the last minute.

Don't forget that Iverson's miss lead to the quick out which tied the game....4-point swing there.

J.D. Brew

Postby J.D. Brew » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 am

Daubs wrote:
J.D. Brew wrote:
Daubs wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:The one time it would have been nice for Nigel to miss a FT. That second one to get the clock rolling.

Oh well. Exceeded my expectations in the tournament.

Disagree. With a miss, anything could've happened - especially when a double-bonus is in the mix and a 1-point lead.

Just two unbelievable shots - one at the end of regulation to tie it and OT to win it for Florida.....

I don't get how you could disagree. With 4 seconds, a miss is chaos, they have 4 seconds to get the ball, compose themselves and get into position for a shot. That's assuming they even come up with the rebound.

By making the shot you are giving them 4 whole seconds to sprint down the court and get up a reasonably good three.

That chaos could lead to a foul on Bucky. Care to gamble on FLA shooting two with a one-point WIS lead?

Yes, I will happily take that gamble. The chances of a foul are small, and the reward of giving them pretty much zero chance of a good shot is worth the risk.
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:34 am

Daubs wrote:
BrewCrew82 wrote:Hayes should have ran down the clock even more before going to the rim. 1 or 2 more seconds off the clock might not seem like much but that makes a huge difference when trying to get the ball up court

Wait another couple of seconds and you're also giving up the chance for a tip in basket that is a lot more likely than the opponent grabbing a rebound and dashing all the way downcourt to score.

The common wisdom is to take a shot with 4 or 5 seconds left to give yourself a chance for a putback.

Saying he should have waited 2 seconds (easier said than done) is nothing but hindsight.

J.D. Brew

Postby J.D. Brew » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:35 am

Also, and I know absolutely nobody will agree with this, but I've thought for awhile that in this exact scenario (up by two with a few seconds left), I would foul the other team and send them to the line. I have been a victim of too many buzzer beater threes. I would rather let them tie it (assuming they make both) and have the last shot with a couple seconds left than just helplessly hope they miss a three at the buzzer.
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

yourout

Postby yourout » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 am

No big ten teams in the elite 8.
Really was a down year.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:28 am

Fuuuuuuuckkkkk!!!!

That said, I'm gonna take the rare high road and damn well appreciate what the last 4 years brought. Incredible.

I hate to tie one loss into another, but my final thoughts just drift back to Duke 2 years ago. They slayed Kentucky and were up 9 with 11 mins left and the whole fucking shooting match on their back pockets. And they let it get away.

The fact of life is this group should've won it all once. And they just didn't. I appreciate all the success, because i guarantee it's unlikely UW hoops will reach this level ever again. It was amazing, but get ready for lean years. They're coming.

On one Monday 2 years ago they had the whole damn thing in their grasp. And they failed. And that's my narrative. It was so great, just not quite as great as it could've been.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:29 am

Basically, this team is the 1982 Brewers.

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:35 am

Too many things didn't go right for us. Too many things went right for them.

Once again - all Wisconsin related sports - we couldn't close it out. We don't just lose, we lose in spectacularly painful fashion
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

BrewCrew82

Postby BrewCrew82 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 am

wisblue wrote:
Daubs wrote:

Wait another couple of seconds and you're also giving up the chance for a tip in basket that is a lot more likely than the opponent grabbing a rebound and dashing all the way downcourt to score.

The common wisdom is to take a shot with 4 or 5 seconds left to give yourself a chance for a putback.

Saying he should have waited 2 seconds (easier said than done) is nothing but hindsight.
That isn't true.It happens all the time where teams don't shoot until the clock is basically 0's which ensures either a win or another overtime.

cor232000

Postby cor232000 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:48 am

Put me in the should've missed the 2nd FT on purpose group. I said it right after he made the first one. With 4 seconds and no timeouts left, by the time the Gators get the ball corralled (if they are even able too cleanly) and pushed up the court, they are getting no shot better than a rushed 3 close to half court anyways. Making it just allowed Florida to get set up and the Chorizo guy or whatever, to get a full head of steam before getting the ball. For all we know, Hayes may have tried to miss it and it went in, which is entirely possible with how he shoots FT's.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It was still a low percentage shot at the buzzer. The guy hit it, what can you do. Just goes to show IMO how much luck can be involved in the NCAA tournament. It's why I think all the overblown talk on certain coaches not getting to enough Final Fours or Sweet Sixteens, etc. is a lot of BS. Right now people are questioning all Gard's decisions while the Florida coach is praised for making the Elite Eight. Florida blew an 8 point lead with under 2 minutes to go and allowed the Badgers to get a tying 3 point attempt off instead of fouling. Fortunately for Florida's coach the Badger's missed FT's and couldn't finish a breakaway dunk in OT or he would be the goat today. None of these decisions are easy.

What a Badger Senior class this was though, four sweet 16's and two Final Fours is unbelievable. They sure experienced some heartbreaking losses, however. Next year's team will be down but I think they will compete. The bar for this program has been raised. The recruiting class coming in is highly regarded and with 5 star Herro already committed in 2018, hopefully they can continue at this level or close to it.

BrewCrew82

Postby BrewCrew82 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:21 am

Hayes stepped up and played extremely well in the tournament. I think he helped himself have a chance of being a late second round pick with how he played.

willie key

Postby willie key » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

Fffffff@$&@&?!&-&;@?@@.@-@.@,@,@?@-@.@(@

I hate basketball

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm

That may have been one of the most brutal basketball games I have ever seen.

And for the refs to miss that obvious out of bounds call on UNC... which resulted in them scoring the winning bucket. Those 3 should be suspended for 1 year from ever refereeing an NCAA tournament. One of the more botched calls in the most important moment.
After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

T-ski

Postby T-ski » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Zach Collins was called for a foul in this video.

If you don't which player he is, good luck figuring it out because there isn't anything going on in this clip that warranted a call.

https://streamable.com/zlw5e

refs were just awful.

cpd

Postby cpd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:That may have been one of the most brutal basketball games I have ever seen.

And for the refs to miss that obvious out of bounds call on UNC... which resulted in them scoring the winning bucket. Those 3 should be suspended for 1 year from ever refereeing an NCAA tournament. One of the more botched calls in the most important moment.

Yeah but a play or two before that they called Berry for a foul on a clean strip of the Zags big center. He sunk both free throws (and Berry missed his two). So the Zags benefited from that reffing transaction.

Overall, the refs were way too involved and called way too many fouls on both teams. But that is no different than any other game in this year's tournament.

Daubs

Postby Daubs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:57 pm

cpd wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:That may have been one of the most brutal basketball games I have ever seen.

Yeah but a play or two before that they called Berry for a foul on a clean strip of the Zags big center. He sunk both free throws (and Berry missed his two). So the Zags benefited from that reffing transaction.

Overall, the refs were way too involved and called way too many fouls on both teams. But that is no different than any other game in this year's tournament.

Are you talking about the play where Berry made a strip on the Gonzaga big man (and got called for a cheap foul), the refs went to the monitor and assessed a flagrant 1 (on an EXTREMELY iffy replay) - which gave the Gonzaga player his 4th foul (essentially making Gonzaga pull him from the game)?

I would say Gonzaga did not benefit from that. That was the ultimate "on-the-spot make up" call. Completely bogus.

The refs were terrible both ways last night, IMO.

cpd

Postby cpd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Daubs wrote:
cpd wrote:

Are you talking about the play where Berry made a strip on the Gonzaga big man (and got called for a cheap foul), the refs went to the monitor and assessed a flagrant 1 (on an EXTREMELY iffy replay) - which gave the Gonzaga player his 4th foul (essentially making Gonzaga pull him from the game)?

I would say Gonzaga did not benefit from that. That was the ultimate "on-the-spot make up" call. Completely bogus.

The refs were terrible both ways last night, IMO.

Yes. Berry got all ball. Karnowski raked Berry across the face/neck. Whether that's a flagrant 1 or not may be iffy, but it is was a clear foul on Karnowski. So the fact Karnowski went to the bench with 4 fouls wasn't bogus (although it was a makeup). The fact the Zags got two free throws out of that sequence is still ridiculous.

Overall, I agree that the refs were terrible all tournament long. I'd like to see stats on total fouls called in all the games versus years past.

Return to “College Sports and Other”