WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

User avatar
J.D. Brew
Posts: 11114
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby J.D. Brew » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:15 am

As mentioned in the Packers forum, we're gonna be doing a voting tournament centered around choosing the greatest sports legend in Wisconsin history.

To help choose the participants in the tournament, give me your 8 greatest Wisconsin college sports figures of all-time. These can be players or coaches.

The 8 most often picked will be in the tournament. There will be 8 Brewers/Braves legends, 8 Packers legends, 8 Bucks legends, and 8 college sports legends.
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

User avatar
FunDmentals
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby FunDmentals » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:07 am

Ron Dayne
Frank Kaminsky
Tony Bennett
Dick Bennett
Alan Ameche
Barry Alvarez
Chris Chelios
Al McGuire

EDITED: added Alvarez and McGuire and removed Joe Thomas and Suzy Favor-Hamilton
Last edited by FunDmentals on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

MelvinMustGo
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby MelvinMustGo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 am

Ron Dayne
Barry Alvarez
Butch Lee
Al McGuire
Bo Ryan
Deam Meminger
Jim Chones
Dwayne Wade

MelvinMustGo
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby MelvinMustGo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:30 am

I also think you should reword the opening. I took it to mean the state of Wisconsin. I think Fundamentals took it to mean the University of Wisconsin.

User avatar
T-ski
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am
Location: Wausau

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby T-ski » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:35 am

MelvinMustGo wrote:I also think you should reword the opening. I took it to mean the state of Wisconsin. I think Fundamentals took it to mean the University of Wisconsin.


Tony Bennett didn't play at UW and was only an assistant coach there. :D

User avatar
FunDmentals
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby FunDmentals » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 am

T-ski wrote:
MelvinMustGo wrote:I also think you should reword the opening. I took it to mean the state of Wisconsin. I think Fundamentals took it to mean the University of Wisconsin.


Tony Bennett didn't play at UW and was only an assistant coach there. :D


Dwayne Wade was the closest I got to picking someone from Marquette, but he only played a year. Al McGuire was a total oversight on my part. Probably should change my vote if that's allowed.

User avatar
Pack Attack
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby Pack Attack » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Ron Dayne
Frank Kominsky
Dwayne Wade
Al McGuire
Barry Alvarez
JJ Watt
Chris Chelios
Butch Lee
2012 Draft Contest Winner

matt stairs
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 am

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby matt stairs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:17 pm

FunDmentals wrote:
T-ski wrote:
MelvinMustGo wrote:I also think you should reword the opening. I took it to mean the state of Wisconsin. I think Fundamentals took it to mean the University of Wisconsin.


Tony Bennett didn't play at UW and was only an assistant coach there. :D


Dwayne Wade was the closest I got to picking someone from Marquette, but he only played a year. Al McGuire was a total oversight on my part. Probably should change my vote if that's allowed.

Wade played 2 years at Marquette. Hard pressed to think of a better NBA player from the state collegesand he led them to a final four by posting a triple double against the #1 team. He needs to be in there. Dayne, McGuire, Alvarez, Michael Finley, kaminsky, and watt are all there too.

User avatar
J.D. Brew
Posts: 11114
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby J.D. Brew » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Dayne
McGuire
Kaminsky
Alvarez
Ameche
Butch Lee
Wade
Chelios
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

User avatar
KegMan
Posts: 5937
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby KegMan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Freakin' Mark Johnson
Jesus Saves but Alley scores on the rebound - Steve Alley
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

CaliBrewCrewFan
Posts: 10194
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 pm

One dark horse I would add...

Lance Leipold. 6 NCAA D3 Football Championships at UW-Whitewater
After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

Dean Winters
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby Dean Winters » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

KegMan wrote:Freakin' Mark Johnson
Jesus Saves but Alley scores on the rebound - Steve Alley

Don't forget his Dad Badger Bob Johnson.

cor232000
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby cor232000 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Barry Alvarez
Bo Ryan
Al Mcquire
Ron Dayne
Alan Ameche
Frank Kaminsky
Butch Lee
The 8th spot is hard- Wade, Chelios, or M Johnson

User avatar
KegMan
Posts: 5937
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby KegMan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Dean Winters wrote:
KegMan wrote:Freakin' Mark Johnson
Jesus Saves but Alley scores on the rebound - Steve Alley

Don't forget his Dad Badger Bob Johnson.


You are absolutely correct, I didn't read close enough and was only thinking players.
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

User avatar
KegMan
Posts: 5937
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby KegMan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:One dark horse I would add...

Lance Leipold. 6 NCAA D3 Football Championships at UW-Whitewater



Very great addition
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

User avatar
J.D. Brew
Posts: 11114
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby J.D. Brew » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:14 am

Current vote tally (bolded are the current qualifiers)

Dayne 5
Alvarez 5
McGuire 5
Kaminsky 4
Lee 4
Ameche 3
Wade 3
Chelios 3

Ryan 2
Watt 1
T. Bennett 1
D. Bennett 1
Meminger 1
Chones 1
As the Packers were on the verge of blowing a 27-10 lead to the Bears to end their season:

dsilby wrote:This will make next week pretty exciting.
Lions in Dallas on Mon night. GB and MN.

Gotta love some football in December!

wisblue
Moderator
Posts: 10003
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby wisblue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:49 am

Because some people only include UW nominees, I'll put in only Marquette candidates:

Al McGuire
Dean Meminger
Bo Ellis
Butch Lee
Doc Rivers
Dwayne Wade

User avatar
T-ski
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am
Location: Wausau

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby T-ski » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 am

how about Terry Porter?

User avatar
Sir Frankie Crisp
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am

Re: WI Sports Legend Tournament - College nominations

Postby Sir Frankie Crisp » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Since literally nobody did a list with only UW nominees I'll do one:

Ron Dayne
Bo Ryan
Barry Alvarez
Bob Johnson
Pat Richter
Frank Kaminsky
Joe Thomas
Al Toon


Return to “College Sports and Other”




  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest