WE MUST BE THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD!

KegMan

WE MUST BE THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD!

Postby KegMan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:21 pm

This could be a trap game. The offense broke out against Illinois at Camp Randall. The QBs didn't look bad at least through the first half. We need to put Purdue away early in their station, grab the win, and head back to defend the axe.
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

wisblue

Re: WE MUST BE THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD!

Postby wisblue » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

A trap game is one against a decent team played in between games against better teams.

It isn't a game against one of the worst teams in the country between games against 2 other awful teams. The Badgers should have no trouble just handing off the ball and scoring over 40 points.

The door is opening wider for the Badgers to get into the playoff as Louisville is getting hammered by Houston.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:44 pm

wisblue wrote:A trap game is one against a decent team played in between games against better teams.

It isn't a game against one of the worst teams in the country between games against 2 other awful teams. The Badgers should have no trouble just handing off the ball and scoring over 40 points.

The door is opening wider for the Badgers to get into the playoff as Louisville is getting hammered by Houston.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on the Badgers getting into the playoffs.

1) They aren't as good as Michigan or Ohio State. Are they close... maybe... but they aren't as good. They lost to both of them.

2) IF the Badgers make the B1G Championship game and its against Penn State... a win isn't going to be as impressive as a rematch against Michigan or Ohio State.

3) This could be the year the committee decides a conference championship game is meaningless... and what happened in the regular season mattered more. If its going to happen any year... it should be the B1G this year if its Wisconsin v Penn State.

4) I don't want to see the Badgers crushed by the Crimson Tide.

My Top 4 at the moment...

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Michigan or Washington (I consider them tied at this moment).

I think Washington might get snubbed because of their poor non-conference schedule... and for some reason the Pac12 is not looked upon favorably by the playoff committee (maybe because Stanford and Oregon are down... but Washington State and Colorado are actually tough teams).
After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:54 pm

I think a trap game is any game that you should win rather easily but don't take it seriously, don't get mentally ready aren't mentally focused and get beat.

Kind of like Louisville tonight. This is a trap game for Bucky. If they don't show up focused, Bucky could easily blow it.
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Regarding the Playoffs.

If that Ohio State wins out and Penn State and Wisconsin win out, Penn State and Wisconsin play in the B1G Championship Game ("BCG"). I think that Ohio State gets in the College Football Playoffs ("CFP"). If Louisville loses tonight, if Wisconsin wins BCG, I think Wisconsin gets in CFP.

If Big Blue beats that Ohio State and Wisconsin makes the BCG, the winner is in the CFP.

I think if Wisconsin keeps winning through the BCG, they will get in CFP.

I won't concede a slaughter by Alabama. On paper it should happen, but we will have a shot - a good shot.

I think B1G needs an upset of Penn State to get 2 in.

yourout

Postby yourout » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 am

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:
wisblue wrote:A trap game is one against a decent team played in between games against better teams.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on the Badgers getting into the playoffs.

1) They aren't as good as Michigan or Ohio State. Are they close... maybe... but they aren't as good. They lost to both of them.

2) IF the Badgers make the B1G Championship game and its against Penn State... a win isn't going to be as impressive as a rematch against Michigan or Ohio State.

3) This could be the year the committee decides a conference championship game is meaningless... and what happened in the regular season mattered more. If its going to happen any year... it should be the B1G this year if its Wisconsin v Penn State.

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson

I think Washington might get snubbed because of their poor non-conference schedule... and for some reason the Pac12 is not looked upon favorably by the playoff committee (maybe because Stanford and Oregon are down... but Washington State and Colorado are actually tough teams).

I agree.
I'm as big a Bucky fan as there is and I don't they we belong in the playoff conversation.
We don't pass the eye test and we needed to beat Osu

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:17 pm

yourout wrote:
CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson

I agree.
I'm as big a Bucky fan as there is and I don't they we belong in the playoff conversation.
We don't pass the eye test and we needed to beat Osu

The challenge is finding teams that meet both the eye test and the performance test.

If UW wins out, who do you put in ahead of them if Washington gets another loss, leaving only 3 teams with fewer than 2 losses?

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:38 pm

KegMan wrote:I think a trap game is any game that you should win rather easily but don't take it seriously, don't get mentally ready aren't mentally focused and get beat.

Kind of like Louisville tonight. This is a trap game for Bucky. If they don't show up focused, Bucky could easily blow it.

I think you are under rating how terrible Purdue is. They are no Houston. I will be very surprised if they score more than 10 against UW unless it's in garbage time. And we are talking about a team that has surrendered 50 points to MARYLAND, not to mention 62, 44, and 45 in their last 3 games. The Badgers should be able to score at will like they did against Illinois.

The one thing that could create some surprises in the Midwest tomorrow is the strong winds. OSU-MSU, UW-Purdue, and IU-Michigan will all be affected. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem for the Badgers since they can just overpower Purdue, but the two games in Michigan could turn into low scoring grindfests. Michigan showed against Wisconsin and Iowa that they have trouble scoring if they can't throw the ball, and a first time starter at QB adds another challenge. If I were a gambler I would be putting money on Indiana +24.

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:30 am

wisblue wrote:
KegMan wrote:I think a trap game is any game that you should win rather easily but don't take it seriously, don't get mentally ready aren't mentally focused and get beat.

I think you are under rating how terrible Purdue is. They are no Houston. I will be very surprised if they score more than 10 against UW unless it's in garbage time. And we are talking about a team that has surrendered 50 points to MARYLAND, not to mention 62, 44, and 45 in their last 3 games. The Badgers should be able to score at will like they did against Illinois.

The one thing that could create some surprises in the Midwest tomorrow is the strong winds. OSU-MSU, UW-Purdue, and IU-Michigan will all be affected. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem for the Badgers since they can just overpower Purdue, but the two games in Michigan could turn into low scoring grindfests. Michigan showed against Wisconsin and Iowa that they have trouble scoring if they can't throw the ball, and a first time starter at QB adds another challenge. If I were a gambler I would be putting money on Indiana +24.

Not under rating Purdue. Just not confident in our offense. One big game against Illini does not a potent offense make, and even in that game our offense hamstrung itself too much in the second half.

We need another good offensive game to build on - hopefully for the future.

As for Big Blue - don't give up yet. Your new guy could take you to the promised land. I'm sure your coach will have your guys ready.

Hopefully, later today we both will be happy.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:41 pm

I see the offensive juggernaut is destroying the lowly Boilermakers. Sigh...

They simply aren't the 7th best team in the country with an offense this putrid.

And the D looking vulnerable too.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Great first quarter!

This will be the day playing football without a QB kills them.

Purdue is not even defending the pass.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:42 pm

CaliBrewCrewFan wrote:I see the offensive juggernaut is destroying the lowly Boilermakers. Sigh...

They simply aren't the 7th best team in the country with an offense this putrid.

And the D looking vulnerable too.

Purdue has an actual QB.

Wisconsin does not.

yourout

Postby yourout » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Going to be quite a few unders in game in the Midwest today because of the wind.
I don't see Bucky covering in this one.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:55 pm

yourout wrote:Going to be quite a few unders in game in the Midwest today because of the wind.
I don't see Bucky covering in this one.

Definitely not this one. They need to stick with Houston in this one though... Hornibrook is just awful.

As a side note with the weather... dumped Crosby as my kicker in FF with gusts to 40mph expected tomorrow night. Had to find an indoor kicker to make sure the weather back east won't affect the kicking game.

yourout

Postby yourout » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Wow what a play by watt

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 pm

I will say that it is humorous to see this much negativity for a team that is headed for the B10 title game and has a very good shot at a spot in the playoff.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:23 pm

DBs getting roasted.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Guess the cobwebs were shaken loose after the 1st Q.

I still don't think this is a playoff bound team though... nor should they.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Also... the offense got into gear after Houston replaced Hornibrook. Coincidence?

Might Chryst stick with him into next week instead of playing QB roulette?

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Just sat down.

Sounds like our offense is barely there. Looks like defense stiffened

Return to “College Sports and Other”