BUCKY at BIG BLUE - ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH

KegMan

BUCKY at BIG BLUE - ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH

Postby KegMan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 pm

I was only able to get up to midway in the 2d on the radio. And, I could not watch it on TV. I did have Game Tracker on. I must say I was surprised - pleasantly so.

This week should be different. Even though I don't think Big Blue's pkayed anybody, maybe we haven't either.

Hoping for the best, and hoping Hornibrook is finally the guy.
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

wisblue

Re: BUCKY at BIG BLUE - ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH

Postby wisblue » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 pm

As a Michigan alum and fan, I'll be interested to see if Badger fans think the untested Wolverines have a chance to derail the Badger express.

For Michigan fans, there are a couple of big areas of concern:

1. UM's offensive line is pretty terrible, mainly because of poor recruiting and development of offensive linemen in the Hoke era. Although Harbaugh wants to play a pro style power run first offense (see Stanford), he really can't do it with the current personnel. The seniors who should be anchoring the offensive line are being challenged, and in some cases replaced, by freshmen, including Bredeson from Arrowhead. UM can't run between the tackles unless and until they loosen up the defense, which they try to do with multiple formations and personnel. They try to move the ball through scheming instead of superior strength, and I'm not sure that will work against a defense as strong and fast as UW's.

2. UM's first year starting QB (Speight) has a noodle arm with a funky delivery. His accuracy is iffy too. If the Badgers can pressure him like they did O'Connor, they should be able to force him into a couple of turnovers. UM's best pass receiver from last year (Jehu Chesson) tore a knee ligament in the bowl game and has not been the same this season. In addition to being a step slow, he has developed a case of the dropsies. Between the weak armed QB and a lack of real speedy receivers, UM has not had much of a downfield passing threat, but they haven't needed it against the overmatched defenses they've faced so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh tries to take a deep shot with one of the freshmen receivers (like the wonderfully named Eddie McDoom), something they haven't tried in the first four games.

3. UM's defense has a lot of speed and talent, especially on the line and in the secondary. Their linebackers are the Achilles Heel, and they have tried to mitigate that by moving Peppers out of the secondary into an outside linebacker spot. The new defensive coordinator is extremely aggressive, so expect to see a lot of blitzing. That aggressiveness has resulted in a number of big plays against them. UW will have some success if they can supplement their basic running game with quick passes, like the passes in the flat to backs and tight ends that the Badgers seem to love to use to keep the chains and the clock moving.

4. UM has gotten a lot of mileage out of special teams, especially its punt return unit, with 4 blocked or deflected punts and several long returns from Peppers. After Peppers returned Penn State's first punt 65 yards, PSU finally got smart and started kicking to the sidelines. I would expect the Badgers to do the same thing, or emphasize higher, shorter punts to force fair catches or allow quick tackles. Given a chance, Peppers can be a game changer.

5. UM's FG kicker has been inconsistent in his few opportunities. If it comes down to a FG contest between Allen and UW's backup, it's anyone's guess who has the advantage.

I won't make a prediction because I really don't know what to expect from a team that hasn't had a close game, except having to recover from an early 21-7 hole against Colorado. But, from what I've seen of both teams, taking Wisconsin and the points seems like a pretty good bet in what looks more like a tossup. But, then, I thought UW-MSU would be a tossup too.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:51 pm

BTW, I also want to comment on Michigan's schedule because UM has taken some heat from talking heads for its soft OOC schedule.

Most of these commentators don't seem to know that, as of 3 years ago, Michigan's nonconference schedule was: Hawaii, at Notre Dame, and Colorado, which looks like a pretty representative slate. But, on the field before Michigan's game at ND in 2012, ND's athletic director handed UM's AD a letter exercising its right to cancel the UM-ND series with 3 year's notice. That slick move guaranteed that the Irish would get the last home game in the series in 2014. So, UM had to scramble to fill the 2016 date, and found a willing partner in UCF, a team that beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. Little did they know that, by the time the game came up in 2016, UCF would be coming off a winless season and offer little opposition (though they were good enough to take Maryland to OT).

It obviously isn't Michigan's fault that injuries and lack of depth have turned Penn State into a low level MAC program for this season.

CaliBrewCrewFan

Postby CaliBrewCrewFan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:20 pm

wisblue wrote:BTW, I also want to comment on Michigan's schedule because UM has taken some heat from talking heads for its soft OOC schedule.

Most of these commentators don't seem to know that, as of 3 years ago, Michigan's nonconference schedule was: Hawaii, at Notre Dame, and Colorado, which looks like a pretty representative slate. But, on the field before Michigan's game at ND in 2012, ND's athletic director handed UM's AD a letter exercising its right to cancel the UM-ND series with 3 year's notice. That slick move guaranteed that the Irish would get the last home game in the series in 2014. So, UM had to scramble to fill the 2016 date, and found a willing partner in UCF, a team that beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. Little did they know that, by the time the game came up in 2016, UCF would be coming off a winless season and offer little opposition (though they were good enough to take Maryland to OT).

It obviously isn't Michigan's fault that injuries and lack of depth have turned Penn State into a low level MAC program for this season.

I wouldn't take shots at Michigan's schedule or pay attention to the talking heads. Colorado is definitely a top-half of the Pac12 team... if not top-quarter. They just beat Oregon (albeit weaker than years past) at Autzen Stadium. That place has been hellish to play in recent years. They actually turned into a decent opponent (even though if played a few years back it would have been seen as a weak team).

Want a team that has had a weak ass schedule that has been getting some praise... Washington. Wins vs Rutgers (worst in B1G???)... Idaho... Portland State and a squeaker OT win vs a poor Arizona team.
After the Packers 30-17 loss to the Lions at Lambeau.

SB Nation‏Verified account @SBNation 20m20 minutes ago
It was the first time the Lions went a game without a punt since 1971.

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:44 am

Our kicker is hurt?

College schedules are set many years out. Nobody really knows who you're going to get. Bucky beat LSU and Sparty. Lots of fun and sounds great, but LSU just fired its coach and Sparty's win against ND may not be that impressive.

Big Blue has crushed its opponents. The big question is can we get in front and keep them under pressure? How will they handle it?

How will Bucky handle 2 huge games in a row - on the road? How will Hornibrook?i

Lots of questions to be answered. And, both Harbaugh and Chryst are playing the Lou Holtz praise your opponent game, it's definitely on.
Our ancestors scratched and crawled their way to the top of the food chain, Keg Gym will keep you there!

T-ski

Postby T-ski » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:57 pm

fat kicker out rest of the season...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/co ... /91265016/

KegMan

Postby KegMan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Yea, I caught that about our kicker. Time for touchdowns.

Strange the Blue man knew about it first. I suspect nefarious activity.

T-ski

Postby T-ski » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Jeez, now Biegel is out with a foot injury.

FunDmentals

Postby FunDmentals » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 am

Missing fat Kicker is a big blow. Not being able to rely on your Kicker leads to overly aggressive play-calling, and can cost you in a close game.

Missing Biegel is a gigantic loss. He just makes everyone better. I think the Badgers defense can still get it done without him because they do have good depth at LB, but he's a game changer and this will make Watt see a lot of double teams.

I see a hard fought game, but Peppers is going to find his way to the ball for a play that changes the outcome (INT, PR, catch on offense?). 21-17 Michigan.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm

KegMan wrote:Yea, I caught that about our kicker. Time for touchdowns.

Strange the Blue man knew about it first. I suspect nefarious activity.

Gaglionone missed last week's game too, and was considered questionable earlier in the week. The announcement about his surgery didn't come out until yesterday.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:17 pm

FunDmentals wrote:Missing fat Kicker is a big blow. Not being able to rely on your Kicker leads to overly aggressive play-calling, and can cost you in a close game.

Missing Biegel is a gigantic loss. He just makes everyone better. I think the Badgers defense can still get it done without him because they do have good depth at LB, but he's a game changer and this will make Watt see a lot of double teams.

I see a hard fought game, but Peppers is going to find his way to the ball for a play that changes the outcome (INT, PR, catch on offense?). 21-17 Michigan.

Michigan is missing a couple of starters on defense too, a defensive tackle (Mone) who got hurt in the first game and a cornerback (Clark)who tore his ACL on a non contact play last week. All American CB Jourdan Lewis made his first appearance last week after missing the first 3 games with back and leg injuries and is not at 100%. DT Taco Charlton also got hurt in the opener, but played some last week and is expected to play tomorrow.

FunDmentals

Postby FunDmentals » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:49 pm

wisblue wrote:DT Taco Charlton also got hurt in the opener, but played some last week and is expected to play tomorrow.

If you coach has Taco tomorrow, he might end up with a stain on his khakis.

Mr Bad Example

Postby Mr Bad Example » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm

wisblue wrote:BTW, I also want to comment on Michigan's schedule because UM has taken some heat from talking heads for its soft OOC schedule.

Yeah, there's so much variance in the college game that to judge intent in scheduling, you have to look back at when the game was set up. I know UW got hammered for a crap schedule a few years back and I said the same thing - "hey, if you look back 3 yrs, this was a tough NC slate. What are they supposed to do?"
A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate

Mr Bad Example

Postby Mr Bad Example » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:08 pm

FunDmentals wrote:

Sign you're getting old - I remember watching Vince's dad play for BYU.
A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate

T-ski

Postby T-ski » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:23 pm

Mr Bad Example wrote:
FunDmentals wrote:

Sign you're getting old - I remember watching Vince's dad play for BYU.

Rocky, correct?

Striker
Site Admin

Postby Striker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:43 pm

The dropsies.

Steven78

Postby Steven78 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Two dropped ints and a 20 yard gain or more dropped.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:51 pm

This game a good reminder of how awful UW's O-line is.

wisblue

Postby wisblue » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Michigan's FG kicker is handing the Badgers the game.

stix

Postby stix » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Total offensive ineptitude.

I wish Clement would've just left a couple years ago. He's terrible. Dropped an easy swing pass that could've gone for nice yardage.

Has he ever had a big game that didn't come AFTER Melvin Gordon already ran for 200 yards and it was like 35-3?

Return to “College Sports and Other”